Sunday, February 15, 2009

Secret #6 - Conquering Saboteurs

This weeks Secret to ponder was a tough one for me. We all hear them no matter what we do, but when I hear them in my own head it becomes very personal and very real.
My saboteurs are internal. Family and friends keep me going with their wonderful support.

I hear "Do you really think anyone will like this?", "I hope your doing this just for fun, you're not going to get anywhere doing this."

and it goes on and on. I keep pursuing my interest because I remind myself of what I told my daughter over and over: Don't give up, the people that have succeeded spent hours and hours and hours practicing. The really great ones, each artist in their own fields didn't just show up one day and were wonderful - they worked their way up from the bottom, they struggled and kept at it not because they were perfect but because it was their passion.

A knitted didn't pick up needles and knit a sweater on the first try. A quilter didn't create an heirloom bedspread on the first try. A painter didn't wake up one day and create a masterpiece on the first try. A musician didn't sit down and play a symphony on the first try (ok, maybe Mozart did).

I am still a fledgling, I don't have a fear of success, I just don't think my work is good enough...
YET
but I have the determination to keep getting back to it and practice, practice, practice.

Sunday Morning Blog-hopping
A whisk and a spoon ** just the pictures alone will have you drooling.
Brown Dirt Cottage
Cottage Farm Villa

11 comments:

D said...

Great post. So wise and true. We should all keep at it and know that we will eventually make things we are proud of or at least keep trying.

Tracy said...

Hi Diana - thank you for visiting my blog & leaving a kind comment.

I applaud you for having the courage to follow your passion!

Genie Sea said...

Perseverance is the best antidote to those gremlinoids! Yes indeed my friend. Yes indeed! :)

intothedawn said...

Oh, this is *such* a good reminder! No one made anything perfect the very first time. If only we could see some of the mistakes of the masters!

Snap said...

We all have interests that we'd like to try. I think the most important part is to try. AND, have FUN!!!!!

Her Speak said...

Thank you for such an honest post! I have to remind myself of those things often--practice, not luck, is what fosters talent and nurtures skills. :)

Much Joy, Many Blissings!~*
Molly

Merry Thyme Fairy said...

hi diana! thanks for your support on my blog. way to go, madamoiselle Perseverance!! believing is half the battle, and dripping wet sweat is the other half! ;) brave on....!

Sandi said...

Diana,
You posted a comment on my blog that you would like to receive the BOM Patterns that I am offereing. I need an e-mail address so that I can send them along. If you are still interested just go to my profile and you can send me an e-mail. Thanks!!

THEE DUCHESS SATURDAY said...

Today, I've learned to daily become the creative woman imprinted upon my soul!

sema said...

great post.A wonderful reminder of practice makes perfection

Julie said...

With me it's writing - I have that internal censor always at work! With art, it is easy, because I know I'm no good at it anyway but I'm having fun. Maybe writing should be more fun for me too.

Sorry I have been away so long. It's been a tough winter - literally, and with my annual SAD, and now with my bunged up knee.