Sunday, February 01, 2009

12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women - Week #4

Before I start on Week #4, I'm going back to week #3. I had mentioned I was going to take a step and buy myself a book on polymer clay that I've had my eye on - well I went to the book store and found this instead. I don't expect to learn Metal Clay in a Day, it's packed full of techniques and ideas, but it's a catchy name.I book on PMC - Precious Metal Clay. I am fascinated by it. Week #3 may actually have triggered any creative move in my ever changing ideas. I don't have any PMC right now, until I buy some I plan on trying the techniques of design with polymer clay. I can't wait to try some out.

Week #4 - Surrendering to Creative Cycles
While reading this chapter I found myself nodding and agreeing with the book quite often. Yes, I definitely have ups and downs in my creative cycles. Sometimes because I'm just too busy, sometimes I actually want to try something new and I just can't approach my studio desk because it feels overwhelming, and sometimes I sit down to work and my mind turns totally blank - nothing sparks. The only thing I can do is walk away.

I often think about my next steps and what I want to make next. I think about what my hands will create while grocery shopping, working, cooking, driving. When I'm in a non-creative cycle, I scour magazines, books and blogs to spark my imagination. Sometimes seeing the work of others gets me going, sometimes I just have to wait a little longer and look around a little more. When I start to work on my ideas sometimes I'm happy with what I've made and sometimes the ideas just fizzle.

I was glad to read that everyone goes through times where their creative flow just doesn't have any energy. Mysery loves company? No, I just feel like I'm still on the right path to expressing my creative self when I see that it doesn't always have to be an up cycle.

For the last 2 weeks I haven't touched my beads or clay. I've been so caught up with One World One Heart that my work has taken a back seat. I miss playing with my beads and clay. I'm ok with that, I've got some fun ideas brewing. Now that I bought that new book, I'm even more excited about getting back to creating.

It's Sunday morning, but I'm not going to post any blog-hopping.
Just go to One World One Heart and you can find 798 blogs to visit.
I've made it to almost half of the blogs. There are so many interesting people out there, it's fascinating to see where everyone is going.

4 comments:

Her Speak said...

Ooh that book looks excellent! It's always fun to find JUST the right book. I can't wait to see what you make. :)

Much Joy~*
Molly

MORNA said...

I'm with you! I am really wanting to try Precious Metal Clay - but does it require a special kiln? I guess not. And you are right, it's a great idea to try other clays along the way - I have some which has been sitting, waiting to be opened for about two years! One thing I notice about my recenbt foray into metals and jewels - one sure can spend a fortune on suppliues, tools, raw material, etc. I'm accustomed to making stuff from recycled sweaters! Not much expense in that!

Janet said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has been bogged down by OWOH!! I've neglected all my blog friends because I couldn't seem to keep up with the emails dealing with the giveaway! And I've managed to keep up with the reading part of "12 Secrets" but I haven't had much time to do anything else! At least you're thinking about trying something new and that's more than I can say!!

Tara Sophia said...

Isn't it nice to have so many creative projects and life gifts that its hard to keep up with them all. I can remember a time, before I re-claimed lost creative loves, when life really wasn't like that. I was wondering what in the world I would enjoy doing with free time...now I can't find nearly enough time for all the things I so enjoy.