Monday, January 19, 2009

Twilight - The Movie

We went to see Twilight last night. I first read the book so I knew the entire story line.
I'm glad I read the book first. The movie followed the story as best it could, but with only 2 short hours and a lot of information to get out so the audience that didn't read it could understand, much was left out. The writers did a good job with the time constraints. So read the book first, if you can, to get the story behind the pictures.At first I wasn't thrilled by the choice of actors. I expected Edward Cullen to be dazzling and absolutely drop-dead (ha) gorgeaous. He was cute but wasn't over the edge in my eyes, but as the movie continued he got better and better looking. Some of the acting wasn't all that great either. It seemed stifled/stunted at times. They really downplayed the part when Edward was dazzling in the sunlight. He could have been truly sparkling with effects possible now. I'm beginning to wonder if the theater had some screen or viewing issues. Perhaps the color and effects looked better at other theaters. I wasn't crazy about the clothes either. This movie could have been so much better if more time had been invested in all the pieces that go into a movie.
Other than that, it was fast movie, didn't lag and ended up a true love story, just like the book.
Here they are towards the end, when the 2 love struck teens are at their happiest and look the best.

5 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

Making movies from books is always problematic, it's true. There was so much subtext going on that my poor husband didn't understand! He fell asleep twice as a result. Me? I was riveted. I agree, by the end of the movie I had warmed up to Edward more. That's a lot of hype to live up to though! I really loved Bella, she was perfect.

bekaboo said...

My daughter devoured these books, and I read all four myself. What I liked most about the movie was that it cut out some of the endless waiting that took place in the book. Also, they made Forks so darn visually appealing. I know in real life it is damp and cold and probably smells of mold, but the movie really made me want to live there.

Abigail Hutchinson said...

Oh man I am totally with you! I felt that the movie didn't live up to the book at all, but I guess it got as close as it could in 2 hours! I am really looking forward to New Moon in November!

Jax said...

I thought the actor choices were hit an miss. Alice, Jasper and Jacob were spot on the way I imagined them but I was a little disappointed in Bella. I do agree with you that Edward got better looking as the movie went on but it wasn't just your theater during the sparkling scene. I was sitting there thinking, That's it? Really? But all in all good for 2 hours.

Bee said...

I read all 4 books in a week, loved the film and am now awaitin the dvd release so I can watch it again.......and again........and again.