Saturday, January 12, 2008

Reading, beading and eating

Thanks to Janet at the Lavender Loft I've learned that it's National De-Lurking week. From Julie's site at The Celtic Woman "..a lurker in blogland is a person who reads your blog but never leaves a comment.This is amnesty week - your time to come out of the lurking closet and come clean about your lurking habit - without penalties."

It would be fun to find out there are people out there who stop by my site to visit. Let me know who you are so I can read your blog. It's fun to find new blogs to read. I love blog hopping and do it often. The times I stop to leave comments I often end up with a new blog friend.





Also, if you've read this far and came all the way through blogland to find me I've got a great surprise. I'm joining PEA at PEA's Corner and having a Valentines Giveaway.
All you need to do is leave your name in the comments of this post or any post through Jan 30 ...make sure I have a way of reaching you if you don't have a blog!! I will draw the winner's name sometime on January 31st so that he/she can receive it on time for Valentine's Day:-) I haven't decided what items I'll have in the giveaway, I'll post them by Sunday night. Good luck!!!
I'm reading my first book in the What's in a Name challenge. I've started with My Antonia - may have mentioned that before but so far I like it. When I start books and they can't grab my attention, I put them down after struggling through a few chapters. There are sooo many good books to read out there, it's not worth what little reading time I have to struggle through a book that doesn't work for me. I'm finding My Antonia entertaining. It's a look at how people lived, laughed and struggled in the early west. It's both simple and involved. This is one I'll finish.

I was surprised when I started Eat, Pray, Love that I've read so many good reviews about. By the time I got to the third chapter I couldn't convince myself to go on. Everyone is raving about it, but I couldn't get past her bouts of depression. I'm a bit disappointed in myself for not trying harder to see if the book gets any better since everyone but me appears to love it, but it goes against my reading philosophy(sp?).

I've worked on a few beaded Valentince pieces to sell at the consignment shop. I'll have the pics up later today. I'm really pleased with the way they turned out. It's hard to sell the pieces I like best, but I get joy in knowing someone else loves them too.

Found a new vegetarian site. DeliciousTV This show is actually aired on TV in some cities, but not mine so I'll have to stop by the website now and then to check out some new recipes to try.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I bought Eat Pray Love for my daugher and d-i-l for Christmas with the intent of reading it myself. I haven't started it yet but now I just might get onto it this weekend. Just to see.

Janet said...

I'm the same way....if a book doesn't grab me within the first few chapters then I move on to something else. I did like Eat Pray Love but I enjoyed the middle of the book more than the beginning or the end!

Now I'm off to check out that new vegetarian site.

Have a great weekend!! (Thanks for the mention, too.)

Julie Marie said...

Hi, I'm glad you found me through Janet and wrote a comment on my delurking post. Janet - and Pea too - are good blogging friends of mine. I'd be delighted to enter the Valentine giveaway.

I'm a booklover too. I read "My Antonia" some years ago and really enjoyed it, especially having grown up in pioneer country myself.

I also enjoyed "Eat, Pray, Love" very much and in fact enthused about it on my blog. Yes, it does get better, but I completely understand your reading philosophy. I used to force myself to finish all books I started. What a waste of time!

Julie