Monday, January 14, 2008

Gratitude eyes

Every so often I read something so poignant it shakes me to my core.
Thornton Wilder brings this to light in Out Town as Emily, a child ghost, looks back on life.

"... 'I didn't realize', she confesses mournfully, ' all that was going on and we never noticed. Good-by world. Good-by, Grover's Corners....... Good-by to clocks ticking .... and Mama's sunflowers. And food and coffee. And new-ironed dresses and hot baths... and sleeping and waking up. Oh, earth, you're too wonderful for anybody to realize you. ...."

After reading that, I stopped to appreciate all I have and how blessed I am for such a wonderful family and friends. For where I was born to and how much I take for granted. The daily grind of life dulls our eyes. Today, I will try to keep them open wide so they can take in my world and all I can be grateful for.

My 'bead shop' is cleaned up and ready for action. I actually have created a few pieces this weekend. I'll get a pic of them tonight to upload.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I am loving you "bead shop". I even love the name of it.

Janet said...

So true....we take so much for granted. Thanks for the reminder to pay attention to all the people and things around me.

Your bead shop looks wonderful. So neat and tidy.

Julie Marie said...

I can't believe that as a lit major I never read "Our Town" or saw it performed. I must rectify that ASAP. Just the little bit you wrote brought tears to my eyes.

Julie