Thursday, November 08, 2007

Chew on this

I went to an Intro to Macrobiotics class last night. I'm so very interested in eating for health. The foods used just happen to be my favorites so it's easy for me to move toward a more macrobiotic diet. Grains, beans, legumes and veggies, veggies and more veggies. The one thing the instructor really stressed was CHEW your FOOD. He said chewing 50 - 100 times for each mouthful is optimal.

Food should be liquified in your mouth using the gastric juices created by your saliva before you swallow. I think of how often I have chewed 4 - 5 times and swallow. He says we get much more nutrients out of the food we eat if we allow the mouth to do it's job. So I tried it this morning. It took a long time to eat my Rice-n-Rye w/ butternut squash for breakfast. but I feed I'm doing my body good. chew, chew, chew.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Yes, I've read that, too. I try to remember to chew, chew, chew but I have to admit there are times when I forget! I think we have been conditioned to think "fast" when it comes to food and eating. I agree that it's much healthier to take your time and actually enjoy the food! I hope you write more about the macrobiotics and what you're learning.

super des said...

That's very interesting. I'll have to make a more conscious effort to do that.

ps - thanks for the link! Have you checked out my non-jewelry blog?
diggitydes.blogspot.com

:)