Tuesday, November 06, 2007

blustery

I saw snow falling today outside my office window. It only lasted for 5 min. but it's a start of a long cold season. Tomorrow, more of the same... cold, rain/snow and blustery. Everytime I hear the word blustery I think of Winnie the Pooh! and his umbrella turning inside out because it was such a blustery day.

I made chilli in my new pressure cooker - added my already cooked beans to it and ended up with burned beans on the bottom of the pot. The recipe had said to add the beans after the cooking process was complete and just heat them through, but I somehow missed that part while I was throwing everything in the pot.

Too many jalepeno chunks almost made it un-edible it was so hot. So I added a little brown sugar to cover up the burned bean taste (pathetic) and let it sit for a day in the fridge. the flavors mellowed out as I hoped they would and found it very tasty after all. G kept telling me to just throw it out, but I can't throw out food - just because it was a little burned - I just couldn't do it.

3 comments:

Pam Aries said...

I a mlaughing ...cause I seriously don't know how it tasted good after all THAT! ha ha hee hoo! Here's a tric kI learned from my Gran...If you scorch something put a slice of white bread on top and leave it for an hour or so and it absorbes the scorched flavor! It works on rice, i know! ..Yep..i a mmoving !

Pam Aries said...

ps:YIKES! Good Lord, I am sorry about all those typos in my comment before! ..not enough coffee yet!

Sacred Suzie said...

What a bummer! I'm just impressed you used a pressure cooker, they scare me but are amazing tools in the kitchen. There is something so distressing about ruining food, isn't there? I stress about that big time.

Isn't it crazy about turtlenecks? I hadn't noticed it at all until I read that book. I still wear the low ones that just stick out of the sweater a little.